Thursday, October 28, 2010

Apes does a TRI!!!

Last month I participated in my FIRST Triathlon EVER!!! That’s right, I swam, I biked, AND I ran…all in one race!!!

I went down to Lake Anna Saturday night with my sidekick, Crystal and we stayed at Bryan’s place. The Tri (Giant Acorn) was about 30 min from his house, so it was quite convenient. We headed to dinner to carb load (yes, there IS an Olive Garden in Fredericksburg) then back at Bryan’s place I organized my gear, and practiced taking off the wetsuit Crystal was letting me borrow. It was a lot of work just to get INTO the wetsuit, so I only tried it once. After I was satisfied with how everything was organized, we headed to bed…but of course I BARELY slept!

Sunday morning we got up early, I packed up the car – and we headed out. Once at the site, it was CRAZY!!! I’m used to running races where you just show up, check your bag (if you need to) and then head to the start line. NOT at a tri! I checked in, got my bib and swim cap, and put it on Rocky (my bike), Helmet, and Tri Belt*. Then I headed to land of the markers, where they wrote my age and group on my leg, and my bib number (504!!) onto my arms. Afterwards, I headed to the transition area to set everything up. While Crystal did most of the work, I watched and guided my Dad (drove up from 757) and Megan (drove up from 804) to where I was. So by this point my bike gear was set up how I needed it, and my running gear was set up as well. Nothing left to do buy GET EXCITED (as if I already wasn’t). I proceeded to get back into the wetsuit, and jump around with excitement. Yep – I couldn’t wait to start!

I was in the novice women’s group, so I was the LAST wave to get into the water. Everyone got in the water to get warmed up, and get ready for the big race! Once it was time to start, I watched each heat start, and then I finally got into my place.

The race went as follows: 700meter swim, 20k bike, 5k run.

The horn goes off, and here we go! Months of swimming and it’s finally time to use what I know. So what do I do? I start flailing around, forgetting everything I had practiced. I did a lot of side strokes, back strokes, etc. I DID do the freestyle for about 10 strokes, and then it was back to the other strokes. My left knee started hurting, so I knew I’d be in trouble for the run. It felt like FOREVER (really only 26:48) Once I FINALLY got to the end I jumped out and ran to the transition area….

BIKE TIME!! I tear out of the wetsuit (I’m wearing my tri suit* underneath), throw on my helmet, shoes, belt, etc. and grab Rocky and we are off!! Of course, I hear my cheering section, so I throw out a wave and keep trucking. Once I am out of the transition area I jump on Rocky and we are OFF! My knees felt great, I was passing people (25 people actually!), and I was snacking on my Chomps. It was a GREAT ride, and then….it was over. I completed the bike in 46:05. I jumped off the bike and headed back to the transition area for the last leg of the race…

THE RUN!! I threw off my helmet, parked Rocky, and switched shoes….and started my 5k. I kept thinking, it’s just a 5k, just a 5k. But with that first step, I knew it was going to be a long 5k…my knees hurt, and they hurt bad! But I had to suck it up! So I trekked up the first half, and then to the turn around. I got complimented from another runner about my tri suit, so that kept me occupied for a few min (we couldn’t wear headphones). Then it was the final stretch…through the woods. It was a few hundred feet through the wooded part of the park, and the tree roots were pretty high out of the ground. But I ran over them, and then I came to the clearing….I COULD SEE THE FINISH! It was sprinting time. So off I went! I ran past my crowd, and through the finish…clocking in at 1 hour 56 minutes 47 seconds. Not the best time, but it was my first one, and I was racing with an injured knee.

It was a GREAT experience!!! One that I DEF want to do again. While I may never do an Olympic size triathlon, I do like the sprint distance and am looking forward to doing another (once the season starts up again).

*Tri Belt: a belt that holds your bib. You wear your bib in the bike when your biking, then turn it to the front when you’re running

*Tri Suit: Suit made to cut down on transition time. It’s similar to bathing suit material so you can swim in it, fast drying, has a small chamois for biking, but not too heavy so it doesn’t bother you when you swim or run.

Next up…a MARATHON!!!!

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment