Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow + Wind = Blizzard?

As everyone who has a TV (or if you live in the DMV you looked out your window) knows, we got snow. I don't mean a light dusting....but enough snow to conjure up the names "Snowmaggedon", "Snowpocalypse", "Snowtorius B.I.G.", and "Snowgasm" among many others. Also enough to keep me out of work for 3 whole days (4 if you count the week before - 6 if you count the bike shop being closed on the weekend).

Well, it's also enough to cancel both my races (2 separate weekends). So here's the NEW schedule of my races:

Capital Hospice 12k (7.5 miles) - moved from 2/6 to now on 2/20 (perfect, because now I have time to work off all the alcohol/fried chicken I consumed during my snow days!)
Love the Run you're with 5k (3.1 miles) - moved from 2/14 to now on 2/28

Now while that is super convenient for me (and my training) - I did make sure to give some thoughts/networking done for the marathon in Oct....

I ended up out and about on Wednesday night (after a day of TRYING to sled at Iowa Jima. Really, it consisted of sitting on serving trays like back in college. The trays in college were much more efficient). Where I ended? Liberty Tavern, as it is ALWAYS open in the worst weather. So after a few Hot Toddy's (sp?) to warm me up I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a while. I mentioned to him about the marathon and his response was "How about I just sponsor you". Sponsor eh? When I asked what that would entail, he said "I'll give you $10 and you just write my name on your jersey". Great Idea? I THINK SO! I could get a plain white running jersey and mark it up with names of my "sponsors". Works for me!

But then it got better...

We headed over to O'Sullivans (of course). As I was talking to one of the bartenders he asked how my running was going (Leo and I used to stop in during our runs for water). I told him about the marathon, and about the sweet drinking game (see below for rules) I thought up for my friends. But I told him I needed a place for them all to gather to play. Of course, he said "Just tell them to come here!" So I went a step further..."Why not have O'Sullivans be a sponsor!?! I'd wear a 'follow me to osullivans' sign on my jersey, in exchange for food and drink when I get done". We agreed, and shook hands to make it official. After thinking about it - I may see if this 'sponsorship' will just cover the entrance fee, and food after. Great idea? I think so!

Marathon Drinking Game (so you can play on your own): To prepare, you need to register (once it gets closer) to receive my check-point updates. Then, the day of - have a pep talk with your liver - it'll need it. Once the race starts, take a shot. Every time you get a text saying I passed checkpoint, take another shot. When I finish, take your final shot. Now, you can easily substitute this with chug a beer, etc. DO NOT WORRY - the checkpoints are NOT every mile. It is every 5k (3.1 miles). So there will be about 30 min between each shot....the further into the marathon I get, the more time between shots you will have (as there's no doubt I'll get slower). It'll be about 8 or 9 shots in the span of 4 or 5 (or maybe 6) hours. Now, if I am friends with you enough to have ever drank with you, I know you can handle that. If not - you should try anyways.

So in my imagination, here's whats happening: I run past a checkpoint, the text comes into the bar - and a round of shots is ordered. This goes on for a few hours, and others in the bar decide to get into it as well. Once I get to the bar, everyone is hammered (YAY!) and there a lots of new people to make friends with...because I helped get them drunk without even being there!

So in real life here's whats prob gonna happen: I run past a checkpoint, the text comes into Leo at the bar - and he orders a shot. He gets hammered on his own, well not on his own - I am sure he will be WITH people, but he will be doing the shots on his own and is blacked out by the time I get to the bar. I don't really get to meet new people, and he has probably already wandered home. Oh wait, I just remembered....he's running it too. Crap! Who's gonna be in charge of the game now?!?!? Hmmm....looks like I need to do some recruiting.

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment