Monday, March 8, 2010

All the cool kids bike to work

I know I haven't kept you guys up to date on my biking adventures...but that's mostly because after my hellish adventure to Annandale, I haven't really done anymore bonding with Cupcake.

BUT I worked at the Bike Shop on Saturday, so I decided it would be the perfect day to bike to work! It's just about a 1.5 mile ride, so it should be easy. The problem in front of me was either to take the back roads (VERY HILLY) or Washington Blvd (a MAJOR road). I decided since it was a weekend there would be less traffic so I would be fine on Washington Blvd (and I was too lazy to try those hills on the back roads).

So I dressed up in my bike gear, and packed my work clothes into my book bag and headed out. There is a bike path from my house to Washington Blvd (so that's convenient) but then it stops right by the route 50 overpass and just turns into sidewalk. While that wouldn't be a problem and I would just hop onto the street to ride - the traffic goes the opposite way that I ride. So NOT a good idea AT ALL. So I stayed on the sidewalk until I got down to an area that I could cross to the other side of Washington Blvd - and then I crossed and went the rest of the way to shop.

On my ride I once again clipped in one foot and debated if I wanted to clip in both - I think pretty soon I'll ride with them both clipped in!!! But while I was on the ride, I DID ride with my hands on the "drops" of my handlebars! Since my handle bars are the kind that curve down and under the flat part, the drops are the part that are curved. So I rode on those, and I looked like a real racer - and it was definitely more comfortable.

As I pulled up to the shop, I really felt like a cyclist: Tiernan and Zeke had ridden their bikes and had gathered with Alex (the uncool kid who drove) outside the shop to chat...so I biked right up to them and we had a small biking group! That was my cool biking moment of the day....then it was time to go inside and change for work.

I also bike home, but nothing more than having one foot clipped in and riding with my drops again happened. Oh, except I fell right outside of my apartment, with an audience. Sweet. At least I gave the couple some entertainment...they tried to help me, but I told them it's ok because I was new at clipless pedals. The woman said she understood, as she was a cyclist as well.

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment