Friday, March 19, 2010

Tomorrow it comes....

Let's chat about tomorrow, ok?

What's tomorrow? It's the DC National Marathon (and half marathon). I will be partaking in this idiotic idea and running in the half marathon. That's right...13.1 miles. of PURE RUNNING.

Let's get a few thing straight:

THOUGHT: I want to become a runner.
FACT: Actually, I want to do something to keep my consistently fit. Running just happens to be the cheapest thing, and you can do it ANYWHERE (no gym membership, etc.). All you need is shoes.

THOUGHT: But aren't you planning on an actual marathon in Oct?
FACT: Yes, it is on my if-i-had-one-bucket list. I can say I ran one, and its over. It's not a "hobby" I planned on doing for years and years. See the origin of why I started running.

THOUGHT: I run a lot.
FACT: In real life, I don't run a lot. I maybe get in 1 run a week due to working 2 jobs. That doesn't really work on improving my running.

THOUGHT: I run lots of races, so I am a good runner.
FACT: That DOES NOT make me a good runner. I am slow, and by slow I mean VERY slow. As in I only had 10seconds to spare in my 10K time to qualify for the half marathon. S.L.O.W. Those should be my initials. I guess my dad was right when he used to call me "slow-poke"

THOUGHT: Yeah, but at least you are doing it.
FACT: Yeah, and looking/feeling like an idiot. I would rather save myself the disappointment from a CRAP-TASTIC running time then not run at all. My bad running times make me mad.

THOUGHT: It's not about the time, as long as you finish.
FACT: Nice thought Mr. optimist but ACTUALLY in the race tomorrow, if you don't finish the course in 3 hours they TAKE YOU OFF THE COURSE AND PUT YOU ON A SHUTTLE TO THE FINISH LINE. That means I DON'T FINISH! So I HAVE to worry about my time.

THOUGHT: But your past races got you ready for this one right?
FACT: If by "my last race being a 4 miler, and I had to walk part of it" then yeah, it got me ready to ride the shuttle for half the race.

THOUGHT: But you ran this week right?
FACT: No. I worked 10 hour days until yesterday, at which I was exhausted and didn't feel like giving my legs the option to be tired on Saturday.

So there you go. I am NOT prepared for this half, nor am I looking forward to it. I am NOT confident I will cross the finish line at all. Everyone says "You'll do fine, you've been running" but in actuality they have not seen me run, and therefore do not know how slow I am. My long legs are not helpful to me, as my stride isn't long. I have no endurance for running, and my body is pretty much planning on crashing around mile 6.

Other runners are like, ah you can do it. It's all in your head. IT IS NOT ALL IN YOUR HEAD! It is in your body, and your muscles. Or as Leo likes to say "Ah, you'll probably end up beating me" I am not sure why he says this at EVERY race, as I have never even come close to ALMOST beating him in any race. As a matter of fact, he can go out and get wasted the night before, run hungover, and STILL beat a prepared-for-race-day-apes. So unless he breaks his leg during mile 3 and walks the rest of the 10.1 miles, there isn't a chance that I will beat him.

So those are my thoughts for the race tomorrow. My goal is to finish...as in they don't have to talk me off the course in a shuttle.

Now it's off to meet my boy Kevin for a pasta dinner to carb load then passing out...it's gonna be a long one.

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment