Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Running Tights!

So last night it was about 35 degrees (Fahrenheit) outside, but since it was my only free evening for the week, it was my only chance to run.

LUCKILY I had just bought some new running tights from revolutioncycles.com so I got to try them out (product info below). They were AWESOME! I am SUPER STOKED that I got them (you can tell how excited I am by the capitalization, right?)!

Anyways, so once again I layered up and headed out. This time I brought some GU energy gel with me(see below for product info). For Christmas I had bought the limited edition Holiday Flavored GU (Mint Chocolate and Vanilla Gingerbread). I have already trued the Mint Chocolate (MAJORLY DELICIOUS!) and yesterday I took the Vanilla Gingerbread with me on my run. Whenever I get caught by a traffic light, I just squeeze out a little and it helps to keep my nutrient-filled. When I tried the Vanilla Gingerbread last night, IT WAS LIKE EATING CHRISTMAS! I usually don't like gingerbread - but in a GU form, it's pretty banging. I felt like all the Hoo's in Hooville were having a huge party in my mouth!

OK, so back to the run...usually my music is sweet pump up music (think: Black eyed Peas, Lady (or man) Gaga, 3Oh3!, Jay Z, Beyonce (not the slow stuff), Cobra Starship, and whatever other stuff you can find on MTV in the mornings). But last night, I was in a 'let's go on a chill kinda run' (if those even exist) kinda mood. So I put on a bunch of John Mayer, Kings of Leon, etc. (more VH1 type of music) onto my IPod and set out.

Let me tell you - switching up music on your run is always key to keeping your workouts exciting (hey, you gotta do what you can to keep working out as something exciting), but a whole different GENRE of music? EVEN BETTER! I just trucked along with the sweet sound of Mr. Mayer and the likes coming through my headphones, and man did my running change! I didn't feel like I had to run super fast to keep up with the beat, I just kept a steady pace throughout my whole run. It was a nice change!! I think I'll be using that same playlist for Saturday's race. YUP - you heard right! I have my first 2010 race THIS SATURDAY!!! I'll tell you more about that in a few...back to YESTERDAY's run....According to mapmyrun.com I ran about 3.32 miles nonstop. GO ME! And big thanks to my VH1 music genre for keeping me at a solid pace!

Then I got home and did a little bit of lunges (because I felt my legs hadn't suffered enough - and because on NYE people made comments that my butt was shrinking!) and then of course some abs - nothing like a hard/flat core in the winter to make bathing suit season preparation easy!

Then came the BEST part...DINNER! While this part is unrelated to running, I don't care. I haven't had any time to actually prepare and eat dinner. So I put some chicken in the oven, then sauteed some onions and portobello mushrooms (I have had a weird desire to eat these ALL the time lately) and MAN, was it tasty! I forgot how much I like cooking and eating a good dinner.

OK, so about my UPCOMING RACE -My first race of 2010 is THIS Saturday! Its the JFK 5k and Leo is going to be running it also. I would LOVE to finally beat him in a race, but even though he hasn't been running, I highly doubt it'll happen. I will of course have my #1 fan with me - Mel. She hasn't missed a race of mine yet! Hopefully I can get like a 25min final time in, but I'll be happy to beat my previous time of 29min. It'll also be my first race in my REAL race attire (my Gore jacket, and my Pearl Izumi tights) so even if I run slow as molasses at least I'll LOOK like a real runner! Wish me luck!!

Pearl Izumi Slice ThermaFleece Tights
(My tights are actually Thermafleece Zip Tights that were on sale - but the Slice tights are very similar) These tights are warm - but not overly fleece-y so you get too hot while running. They were PERFECT for the 30 degree weather I ran in yesterday. They zip at the bottom, so tuck your socks in and they'll stay tucked in! There's also a mini pocket in the back that's the PERFECT fit for a pack of GU (the mini pocket was in my Zip Tights, so I am not 100% sure if they are also in the Slice Tights). These retail for about $85.00 and you can grab them at Revolution Cycles. http://tinyurl.com/PItights

GU Energy Gel
So this is basically a way to get nutrients while your on long runs. It's a weird gel material, but comes in a TON of flavors (and small packaging) so you can just use the flavors you like. If you're gonna try it out, DON'T try the plain flavor as your first try (because obviously it's a plainly boring taste. But if you're a boring person, you might like it). The chocolate (if you like chocolate - um, EVERYONE) tastes EXACTLY like chocolate icing...who DOESN'T want to eat some chocolate while running (or doing anything, really)???? These retail for around $1.35 a pack (but a lot of GU comes in one pack, so you can split it between runs - I do). http://tinyurl.com/GUenergygel
- apes -

3 comments:

heavly said...

I like the part about being a boring person, who wants that?!

Apes said...

I actually had a guy come into the shop last night, and he bought regular flavored GU and told me he was a boring person, so he doesn't buy the flavored ones!

heavly said...

No way! He told you he was boring?! hahaha!

I've considered trying these to bring along with me in Morocco next month, for a good snack/boost on the go! I think I'm going to buy some tomorrow and see how it goes :)

Post a Comment