Monday, January 25, 2010

Biking Start-Up

So many of you (if not all of you) know that I work part-time in a Bicycle Shop (http://www.revolutioncycles.com/). Back in October my roommate won a bike from them, and gifted it to me. While it is a little small - I have FINALLY decided to put some additions on it, make it fit me, and start riding it. Here's the bike:

Trek District: $1099.99
Single Speed, Alpha Black aluminum frame with a slick carbon fork (super light). This bike features a belt-drive system (which means there's no chain, it's a silent belt that requires no lube = almost no maintenance).

So when you become a cyclist, you need to know - ITS EXPENSIVE. That's the very first thing you need to know. Now you might ask, "Why? Don't you just find a bike and your good to go?" Um, you would be quite wrong if you thought that. Once you have the bike, you need the rest of the gear; helmet, shoes, pedals, lights, clothing, etc.

So I finally started getting my gear...

Shoes: So I got the shoes first. Why? Well anyone that does spinning class will tell you - you need cycling shoes. And I recently found out about an opportunity where I might be able to take some spin classes. So of course I needed shoes for that. Might as well get some I can use on my bike as well, right? So I got to work trying on all the shoes in the store (and I mean ALL of them: Sidi, Peal Izumi, Shimano, Bontrager !). I decided the Sidi Zeta's fit me best BUT when I went to buy them...we were out. And the particular pair I wanted wasn't being made anymore...so after a while of picking a second choice, I went with these:

Shimano WM61: $99.99

(Rev Cycles didn't had to order them for me:
but the comparable ones in stock at the store are: Shimano WM60)

Pedals
: OK, so you're probably asking why I need pedals. Don't bikes COME with pedals? Well, yes they do. BUT Biking is kinda like skiing: you need your ski's (the bike), boots (the shoes), and the bindings (pedals/cleats). The kind of pedals that DON'T usually come with the bike are clip less pedals. Pretty much your shoes hook or "clip" into the pedals and then you can focus on using your legs to pedal, instead of trying to keep them on the pedals themselves (where you would lose a lot of energy and momentum - when you're clipped in your foot cant slide off). So I needed some pedals that I could clip my shoes into when I ride. Now since I may not always be riding with my biking shoes, I got a kind of pedals that you can clip into on one side, and has a flat surface on the other (when I want to wear regular shoes to ride my bike).


All pedals come with cleats (the hardware you put on the bottom that keeps your shoe clipped into the pedal). So I didn't need to buy them separate.

Helmet
: Ok, so this would be the MOST IMPORTANT thing to buy. Well, if you don't find your head important, than you probably won't find a helmet important either. I find my head quite important, so I went ahead and once again tried on all the helmets in the store (Bell, Giro, Trek) and settled on the following helmet:

Giro Saros:
$125.00

I picked this one because it had the BEST fit. I actually had picked out a similar one, but my co-worker Alex up sold me to this one (watch out, he loves to up sell!). I'm happy he did though, as I like this one A LOT better - the look (the other made me look like a mushroom) and the feel. And of course, I made sure it matches my shoes :)

FYI: a lot of people don't realize - but helmets should be replaced about every 5 years.

Saddle: So the saddle (seat) that comes on my bike isn't very comfortable to me, so I am currently testing out a womens Selle Italia that my manager has. Of course, I'll prob fall in love with it and want one for myself...and they are CRAZY expensive! But we'll see. Here's a pic (on the right) of the saddle he's letting me test out.

So after work, we switched out my saddle, put the new pedals on my bike, and cleated my shoes. Now it was TIME TO RIDE! I was excited for my first ride on my bike - and I know the guys at work were excited to see me FINALLY getting into it (they all have awesome bikes, and the best gear). They sized me up on my bike, and helped me figure out how to clip into my pedals (it took me a few tries, but I eventually got it). So I headed outside and went on a ride. I clipped in kinda alright....and then I got to a light where I need to UNCLIP so I could get one foot on the ground and not fall over. So I unclipped my right foot, and was all set. Then I started leaning to the left...and it happened...

I fell. I couldn't get my left foot unclipped fast enough! I am NOT very coordinated on the left side of my body apparently.

Let's give you a visual: So here I am at the stoplight, in the bike lane luckily (but right in front of the bike store - good thing we were closed!). I start leaning to the left and I call out "Ahh, I'M FALLING!!" and I fall over (pretty much felt like slow-motion). There was a couple standing on the sidewalk when this happened, so they of course tried to help (those Good Samaritans!). "Are you ok?" they asked. I responded with "It's ok, it's my first ride". They followed up with "Well, then you've fallen, so you don't have to worry about that anymore! Good thing you got a helmet". Why yes, good thing I DO have a helmet.

So once back up on the bike, I then decided to only clip into ONE pedal for the rest of the ride home. Once I get the hang of it, I'll try both feet again, but I'll settle with just one for now.

Luckily I made it home without anymore falls. ALTHOUGH I did NOT want to ride on Washington Blvd (MAJOR busy road with no bike lanes) so I took back roads home...which meant ALL HILLS. I AM RIDING A SINGLE SPEED! Thanks for the leg workout, Arlington.

---

I rode again Sunday morning - from my house to the bike shop for work. As I came out of my house, I got a compliment on my bike...WOO HOO! And then I almost fell again. ALMOST! I saved myself though. Whew! So I got all the way to work with no falls (but I had those stupid hills challenging me the whole way again - I'll conquer them one day!). When I crossed the street right in front of the shop - the guys were inside watching me, they all thought I had mastered the clip less pedals! Silly guys - I only had ONE clipped in still. HEHE. But they did say I looked good on the bike - so at least I have the biking 'look' down!

My bike is still at the shop - I am getting some adjustments done to it; new stem (to make the bike actually fit me), new handlebars (they will look like the racing drop-handlebars), and new tires (puncture proof ones!). So once I get it back and I have everything done, I'll be able to ride it a lot more! And since it's single-speed, I'll have some PRETTY muscular legs to show off!

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment