Monday, January 11, 2010

Weekend Workout

Since I worked all day Saturday and then went out to celebrate Juan's birthday (my very FIRST college friend!) I didn't get a chance to get in a run on Saturday.

So Sunday morning I got up before work and decided to do SOME kind of exercise. I figured it was too cold (and I was being a little lazy) to try to get my butt out the door on a run, so I decided to do a little indoor free weights (and I could keep watching TV while I did so). I did an old circuit training workout that my friend Brian had sent me (before he joined the USCG):

Do the following in order (12-15 reps) and repeat for 2-3 sets.
1. Clean and press: hold free weights at waist, lift to shoulders, then press up (easiest to pretend the weights are the bar you add weights to)
2. T-Pushups: push up position, then turn your whole body to the left, lifting your arm in the air, bring back down and do the right side
3. Sit-ups: any kind of sit-ups (make sure to do these at a moderate to slow pace)
4. Dips: using a bench (I use a coffee table) put your hands on the bench with your feet flat out (like your sitting) then dip your body down and use your arms (triceps) to pull your body back up
5. Russian Twists: get in sit-up position and using a medicine ball (you can also use a weight, or nothing at all) and twist your body to have the medicine ball touch the floor directly behind the the right side of your body and then all the way to your left (one motion)
6. Split Squats/Bicep Curls: get in lunge position, with a weight in each hand. Lower your body for a lunge, then once back up, do a bicep curl. After completing one side, switch and do the same on the other side
7. Hip Flexors: get back in the sit-up position, lift your hips (keeping feet flat on floor) all the way up, then pulsate it up and down
8: Leg Raises: lay down, with legs straight in front. Use ab muscles to bring legs all the way up, then back down (don't let them touch the floor) and repeat

I tried to be as detailed as possible in the descriptions, but if they don't make sense, just google the exercise and you should be able to find a YouTube video showing you what to do.

After that circuit workout, I did a few more abs -

Plank: get in pushup position and keeping your body level stay in the UP position (make sure to be on your elbows, and not all the way up on your hands)
V100: can't remember what it's normally called, but get in a V position (butt on ground, body and legs off the ground) with your arms on either side of your body, and pulsate your arms 100counts. Breath in/out every 5 counts.

Of course the most important thing is to make sure your stretch BEFORE AND AFTER you workout, unless of course you like feeling completely sore all over, in which case - you're a moron.

While at work on Sunday, I picked up some new running tights - so I will make sure I give you guys the reviews on them when I get a chance to actually run this week (looks like it'll probably be Wed due to my schedule).

GOOD FOOD!!!!!
So apparently this weekend, the most common recipe my friends were making were lettuce wraps. I can totally understand why: EASY, CHEAP, HEALTHY!

If you wanna make them yourself and can't figure out how (it's as easy as adding 2 and 2 and getting 4, but whatever) here ya go:

Take a lettuce leaf and fill it with anything you want (I like to put carrots, bell peppers - all colors, rice, and cut up chicken in mine). If you want some flavor, pour some soy sauce on it. MMMMM. That's it.

Told you it was easy. I am sure there are some way more complex recipes for them out there, but why mess with something that's not broken, eh? (sorry been watching a lot of Degrassi lately, so 'eh' has slowly been entering my daily vocabulary).

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment