Monday, April 12, 2010

Crystal City 5k!

Friday night was the weekly 5k put on by Pacers out in Crystal City. They do a 5k every Friday during April...I missed the first one, but was there in full force this past Friday. By full force I mean, tired, tummy ache, untrained...but whatever.

After I got home from work Roomster and I headed out to the race and got your running bibs. Mine is #417...MY BIRTHDAY!!! HOW SWEET!! I didn't realize it until AFTER the race when Roomster brought it to my knowledge. What can I say, I'm not very observant.

At the start, we grab a spot in the middle (so there's still people behind me once my pace slows) and we get started! The energy before the race was awesome. Everyone was SOO energized! Not like normal races where everyone is tired (early morning races) and just ready for the race to start. So I like the energy buzz I got.

As soon as the race started and I made the first turn...I got a side cramp. REALLY?!?!? It was like a few feet! And that's when I got worried. Yeah, I might have done a half marathon last month, but I was thinking I wouldn't be able to complete a full 5k that night! Crazy Body. Anyways...so each time we did a turn around, me & Roomster waved/clapped/hollered at each other (I got separated from her early on...of course).

The big runner I remember this time was "THE GUIDO". Even Roomster knew who I was talking about when I saw her...Think of Pauly D (from Jersey Shore) in running clothes.
See his "blowout" hair? Yeah, Imagine it a little bit longer, and EVEN MORE shellacked to his head. I had to do a double take because I thought he was wearing a helmet. I think maybe he was running to a Jersey Shore Casting call and got mixed into our race. He was juiced up, and orange tan...and his running clothes where smaller than mine! Like Hotpants and a sleeveless top (maybe it was a tank top, I don't remember). But yup...I got beat by THE GUIDO.

Anyways, at the end of the race I crossed and Roomster was there to cheer me on (OBV she was going to finish before me). That's when she told me about my race Bib. YAY #417!!!

I ended up crossing at: 30min 28sec. That's a 9min 49sec pace. I was expecting about 31/32 min just because I hadn't been running lately, and eating like CRAP (thanks Bike Shop boys...every night should NOT be burger night after work!). But I am still excited I got below 31min!

I don't think I'll be at this Fridays race (my bday Friday we do a Margarita Pitcher Contest at the Waterfront during the day). But I should be back the week after to HOPEFULLY not get a worse time!

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment