Sunday, April 25, 2010

Late Start

Friday was our weekly 5k in Crystal City. Roomster and I headed out, and arrived a little late (due to parking). We got to the start line...and there was NO ONE there! Uh oh...the race had already started, and by the time we got to the start line the clock was already over 4min into the race!

So we decided to hold hands and start the race together...and even though my roomster is a lot faster than me, she decided to pace me for the race.

We got to the first turn....and we saw the red dress. IT WAS THE RED DRESS RACE! You ran in a red dress to help promote awareness for a charity (I can't recall which charity thought). Roomster and I had been excited for the red dress race, but we had thought it was next weeks race, so we were disappointed we didn't get to run in our red dress :( But we saw PLENTY of other red dresses, and some of the men that were wearing them DEF needed to invest in a sports bra...I saw lots of moobs (man boobs) jiggling around!!!

Roomster had me pick people out to pass during the run...I mostly picked out strollers to pass, but we still passed them :)

It was weird to start the race so far behind, but also kinda cool. We didn't have the congestion at the beginning of the race to deal with that we usually do, so we were able to set a good pace. Although not even getting half a mile in and already having the first person pass us on the way back from the loop WASN'T fun. I felt SUPER slow...but I knew I wasn't actually BEING slow.

During the race, we passed a manhole, and bursting out was this super thick black smoke. I DEF tried not to inhale that as we passed! (It was weird because on the way home we passed a TON of fire trucks and ambulances - so we thought maybe it was all related).

At the end I sprinted (without telling Roomster) and ended up beating her by ONE SECOND! She had been running a little ahead of me the whole time though.

Here are our final results:

Me 30:01
Roomster 30:02

We both ran at a 9:40 pace.

During the race we passed a guy I met at kickball the night before, and at the end of the race we ran into a girl that Roomster had met the night before at HER new kickball game (she is playing on a DC team, and our Arlington team).

Afterwards they were out of the coconut water we love :( so we just headed home.

Since we missed the dress-up part of the race, we've talked about making our own theme for next weeks race (the last one of the series).

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment