Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tackling the Key Bridge

So the key bridge realistically isn't that far from Clarendon. I think I just think of it as being far since it connects VA to DC. Yeah yeah, I'm only like 5 min from DC, but it still sounds far when you are talking about traveling between states.

Spicy convinced me we could run the key bridge, and back. By convinced I mean a conversation like below:

Spicy: Hey Ape, wanna run the key bridge for our run
Me: Yeah.

So as you can see there was LOTS of arm twisting.

The morning came (Tuesday AM to be exact), and we headed out. we went down Wilson (lots of downhill, YAY), and then Spicy pulled the "are we even going the right way" move, and I responded with something along the lines of "STFU or I'll pop a cap in your a$$". Right before the bridge we had to cross over the crazy intersection area and figure out which side of the bridge to run on. So I just kept following Spicy, and he led me on a tiny path through some brush (if you put a few benches, it could be considered the 'key bridge park' - but would be about the size of my whole apartment). Once on the bridge I kept thinking "Just make it to DC, then you can turn around and walk". Spicy on the other hand....

No, he doesn't wear a hat when we run

...just kept chatting away. About the boathouse, the water, the castles on the Georgetown side, the ugly scenery on the other side, etc.

Then we got to the end of the bridge, and Spicy pointed out the spot where our first night out drinking (Roomster's Bday) I decided to lay down and rest because I was SOOO TIRED and DIDN'T WANT TO WALK ANNNYYMOOOORE (but to give me some credit, I was in heels and he made us walk the length of G-town, past the bridge, and further to find out friends house then he realized he didnt know where it was). And THEN we turned around and ran back.

Yes, I ALSO ran back...as in, I did not reach the bridge, turn and walk. Instead I kept listening to Spicy chatter on about how much cheaper to live on the VA side of the bridge it probably is then living on the DC side. I did go into Rosslyn and once we got to the first (of 3) monster hills and THAT's when I walked. Yeah, you thought I was running the whole way? HA! This ain't a marathon (ugh, I need to make some improvements before the marathon comes!) Spicy then started spitting out sayings:

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right"
"Think like a bumblebee, train like a racehorse"

So for his sake, I ran a little bit more, and then once we got to Courthouse we ended up doing our cool down (aka walking) the rest of the way. BUT THEN, once we hit Clarendon, Spicy made us run the rest of the way. When we passed the Bike Shop, Pinky the owner and Caleb from Crystal City were out in front doing who knows what. So we said hello, then headed over the WSC (Washington Sports Club) to do some core workout.

Pretty soon, I'll be able to run the whole way to and from the bridge (and beat those monster hills in the running battle)!

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment