Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lady Lazy with a side of Crazy Legs McGee

As the prince of freshness would say..."And i liked to take a minute, And sit right there"...Imma tell you about my spin class this morning (sorry that didn't go with the end of the verse, guess my rap career is over).

I stroll into class as instructed by Senor Spicy himself:

Spicy Text: "Lot's of traffic, head to class"

So I head in and grab a bike...and the class starts. No Spicy. Warm up goes by. No Spicy. 1st set of our crazy workout. No Spicy. DID I REALLY GET BLOWN OFF BY MY "trainer"?!?!?! Yup. Sure did. Oh well, at least I got to class.

Ok so first up I'll tell you about my workout, then I'll introduce you to Ms. Lady Lazy and Ms. Crazy Legs McGee.

This class we did a "Maximum Workout" (that saying was incorporated about every 60sec - "you should be at your maximum right now", "Come on guys - let's reach your max!", blah blah). This workout consisted of TONS of intervals. All in groups of 8. Let me break it down for you:

20 seconds of sprint (again "Ok guys - you should be maxing out right now!")
10 seconds of recovery
Repeat 8 times

20 seconds of sprint standing up (again, to MAX OUT!)
10 seconds of recovery
Repeat 8 times

20 seconds of spring with higher tension, as if you're on a hill
10 seconds of recovery
Repeat 8 times

Then recover from ALL that on a 1:30 flat road (that just means no tension)
Repeat above with more tension
Then recover for 1:30 on a flat road
Repeat above with MORE tension

Then we did our cool-down stretching.

Ok, so while all this MAXIMUM EFFORT was going on for 20 seconds at a time I observed 2 characters:

First up...let's meet Lady Lazy (LL)

"Notice the tranquil state"


She was none other than MY TEACHER! Yes, that's right. The lady busting our butts for MAXIMUM EFFORT every 20secs or so was the laziest one in the class. I like when my instructors do the FULL workout with the students...that way I know they care about the workout as much as the rest of us, and they aren't short changing us on the activity. Now I understand that as a class instructor you need to check out the students and help their form and whatnot. But let me explain - she did MORE than just that. Every 10 sec's in our 20sec maxeff (what I'm calling it now, I'm tired of continuously typing the same saying) she would hop off her bike, and walk around. Now it's not as if the class has tons of bikes spread out all willy-nilly. Its 3 rows of bikes vertical, made up of 5 bikes horizontal. That means there's BARELY any room to walk. There are also about 5 bikes that face the side of the rows of bikes (where I happened to sit today). So basically you walk in the room, there are bikes on the right, then rows of bikes on the left. The only walkway is from the door to the front of the room (where LL sits on her bike facing the class). Ok, she walked around to 'check on the students', whatever. I'll chalk that up to being an observant teacher. When she wasn't taking time to hop off her bike during our maxeff, she was messing with the sound system, her Ipod, etc. I KNOW that she needs to change the music - but do you need to explore your Ipod every 30 sec. to see what song you're playing next? NO. Songs aren't 30 secs. So I chalk THAT up to being lazy. Moving on...

Let's meet the next entertainer....Crazy Legs McGee (CLM)

Normally, I actually sit behind this woman. But due to the full class, my bike was taken when I arrived. So I grabbed the empty seat that faced the rows of bikes, which put me parallel to CLM. That meant I was stuck with her being in my direct focus the whole class. Why the name Crazy Legs, you ask? Easy - she looked like this:

"She's so fast her legs are just a blur!"

For each 20 seconds of sprint we did, I thought she was literally going to fly off her bike. While that's awesome that she was doing such a great sprint, LL kept telling us if we feel we are going to fly off our bikes, then increase the tension. CLM wasn't having any of that nonsense. She was literally trying to fly off her bike. Now THAT would have been a sight!

After the class, I chatted with the the desk guy about the AB class (woo-hoo 30 min of hard-core abs!) and when THAT instructor didn't show, I just did some on my own. I obv missed the memo of lazy instructor day. At least LL actually showed up for her class (physically) though...

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment