Monday, May 3, 2010

Skins vs. Dallas 5k

Well it was here...me and Roomster's last Crystal City 5k. Since we missed dressing up for the red dress, we decided to do our own theme this week....and since the NFL draft was last week and teams are still getting settled, we decided to wear our jerseys!

We got there on time!! But once we got to the bag check, I realized I didn't have my Ipod, so we had to go back to the car. So now we were of course late.

So we jogged to the start line, where people hollered to us we were late (as if we didn't know) and we crossed the start line together. At the start line, one of the guys shouted to me "Let's go April!" and I looked and waved, but had no idea who he was (if you're reading this, I'm sorry!!). So we started the race.

Sidenote: the night before was the first night of kickball, and we celebrated our 9-0 win a little hard...the race was NOT something I was looking forward to.

Roomster is her ugle blue star jersey got lots of acknowledgement at the beginning of the run, but whatever. They were on the sidelines for a reason. I'm sure all the skins fans were actually RUNNING the race, hence why they couldn't cheer from the sidelines.

Once I hit the first turn (and still feeling the alcohol from the night before), I hear another cheer "Yeah, April" so I just cheered back "YEAH!" and when I turned to look, it was one of the guys from the bike shop, running in the first group! I was like who the EFF would I know running in the first pack of people?! It was Drew, who is a newbie at the bike shop.

So I keep running, and I'm of course way behind EVERYONE (and lost Roomster way at the beginning of the race since she's a lot faster). Then on the turn I see her, and so we started cheering for our respective NFL teams as we pass each other...I am sure the runners around us loved that.

At one point (after the final turn) I was behind this girl with hot pants on. Now I don't mean running shorts that were tight...I mean Straight-Up HOT "PANTS". They were so short I could see her butt, and I am just happy that was ALL I saw. I passed her quick so I didn't have to keep looking....but I guess that would be a good way to pick up an athletic guy?

I also got stuck behind the juggler. UGH. That was the WORST. It was seriously a guy, who juggled 3 hackey sacks throughout the whole race. I wouldn't have minded so much, except I got stuck behind him and every few steps he would drop one and he'd have to stop and pick it up. UGH, GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!

So I have come to the conclusion that if you start the race WAY late, it is ONLY fun if you are running with someone. If you start way late and end up running the whole thing by yourself, it's not fun at all. Not only was I just putting along, I also looked I was the slowest person there!!!

However, our end results were the following:

Cowgirl: 25:36
Redskin: 30:46

So yes, my time wasn't great...BUT considered I was hungover, I was just happy to have ran the whole time! And yes, the cowgirl DID beat me. But with the new changes on the Skins team I figure I would let them get their only win against us now. I figured I'd be nice like that.

Afterwards we went to the after-party to meet up with one of our new kickballers, Derrick, and we ended up meeting his running club. We grabbed our free drink and checked the place out, and it was AWESOME! It was just this big open room, with Live entertainment, drinks, and sweet art. There were tons of photo op places - one being and option to pose by the golden shoes (which of course we did). While we were having our own photo shoot, a woman took our pic and asked if she could use our picture in her neighborhood newsletter. So now we have deemed ourselves Crystal City Celebrities (by our photo only).

There was also a place where we could write on the wall, and there were some awesome inspirational quotes. We both of course signed the wall:

"I let the cowboy fan win, I felt sorry for her - The Skins Fan" - Me
"Cowboys win again! Good Luck with the MCM Apes" - Roomster

And that ends our month of 5k's on Fridays :(

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment