Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Quarter Marathon....after a Romero Wedding!

Sunday morning was the Pacers Race Festival in Rosslyn. It was a quarter marathon and a half marathon race. Leo and I were signed up to run the quarter marathon. No biggie, right?

WRONG!!!

The night before the race was our good friends Juan Romero and Stephanie Long's wedding. We've known Juan since Freshman year, and at this point we know a lot of his family also. So we made sure to celebrate....which didn't help Sunday morning.

We left the hotel around 7am Sunday morning and headed to Rosslyn (about 40 min away). The race started at 8am - and I was EXHAUSTED!!!

Once the race started I was feeling surprisingly good! I was trucking along on the crazy route (the route was on the interstate, going on off-ramps, and then back ONTO the interstate - weird!)...and then it came....

Mile 4. My body died. So I started to walk....almost the rest of the way.

I started walking...and got passed by a juggler. You may remember him from my last 5k post. Luckily, he wasn't dropping his hackeysacks (I woulda said dropping his balls, but then I figured a bunch of "that's what s/he said" jokes would come about).

As I kept walking I started to figure out how long an actual quarter marathon was. 6.55miles. So I had 2.55 miles to go. GREAT. So I just kept on trucking on...getting passed by a LOT of people.

Then it came...almost the finish. So I put a little pep in my step, and finished at a crazy 1hr.22min39seconds. HORRIBLE. So I decided to see what place I had. I came in as #460. Oh, that's not too bad, right? Well, then I realized there was only 495 people running the quarter marathon.

Yup. I did TERRIBLE.

I also had lots of titles for this blog as I was running:

- And then it hit me...I AM a runner
This was referring to racing the morning after a wedding...but then when I hit mile 4 I realized, I wouldn't put myself in the "runners" category just yet.
- The Quarter Marathon ain't got nothing on me
Turns out, it had EVERYTHING on me.
- I'm ready for the marathon!
I think I was smoking crack when I thought of that one.

Ok...time to get back on the training wagon.

- apes -

0 comments:

Post a Comment